The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, September 19, 2005

Is this a reality?

I should probably be sleeping by now (thanks Kirsten and Lizzy, j/k), but I couldn't help but stop and think about my situation. It just doesn't seem possible that in less than thirty days (most likely) I will be down in Mississippi getting ready to leave for Iraq. I was supposed to go and get my things squared away this past weekend (i.e. insurance, will, lease information, pay, medical, and gear) but that never happened. You can expect these kind of changes from the military, "stay flexible" they always say (anyone else who has been or is currently in the military can certainly attest to this).
So, people are probably wondering what I am going to be doing the next few weeks. I wish I could give you a good answer, but that just isn't going to happen. Since I don't really know when I will be leaving MN, it makes the task of time management difficult. Here are some ideas. . .

1. I can't stay at school forever- Just two weeks into moving into school and going to classes I have to leave. All of you in school right now know that the task of moving in/out is not very pleasant. Also, I think it would be key if I told the school that I was actually leaving. I don't think it would be entertaining to pay $14,000 for a semester of classes that I didn't receive credit for.

2. Time with family and friends- This is probably the most important thing I should do. Lately, I feel that I haven't spent enough time with those that mean the most to me. Friends here at Gustavus, friends in the cities, Dad is 4.5 hours up north, and Mom in Prescott, AZ. Don't be at all surprised if I call you to tell you I'm coming to visit, this goes for everybody!

3. The necessities for leaving- This will include many things. Lots of military paperwork etc. . . Making sure bills can be payed while I'm gone. Store all of my things. Finding good books to bring (oh yeah, intensive Latin be prepared).

4. The sporadic- These will rank up there with spending time with friends and family. Most people wouldn't exactly classify me as very adventurous (although I constantly wish I had the time and money to be) but, since we never know the outcome of this tour I want to make sure that I leave with the satisfaction of having done what I wouldn't usually do.

5. The miscellaneous- I am sure that I forgot some things or maybe you have some ideas. If something comes to mind, leave a comment on this post.

I think that is what I wanted say. Oh well, it's time for bed. Jeez, where does the time go?

1 Comments:

  • Hey nick it's Em and I made an email address just for you (I guess other people can email me too). Here it is emilysfreckles@hotmail.com You like the name? kinda silly huh. I love you man, peace out

    ps this blog thing is neato

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home