The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, September 22, 2005

The Soldiers are Leaving

Yesterday, early in the morning, soldiers of my former unit and current unit were sent to Camp Shelby, Mississippi. This is where we will be staging for the next ~5 months or so. I am expecting to be sent there within the next 3 weeks to join up and get in the training. It looks as though there will be quite a few soldiers from my former company that I know and have been with for the past three and a half years. It is always comforting to have people you know well going with you on such a life changing event.

I received a very nice letter from one of my professors that wished me well and let me know how much it meant to her that I was doing what I was doing. All of my professors have been very kind and non-judgmental about my being called up to active duty. Although they have their opinions on the war and politics etc. . . they know that I am just doing what I signed up for and they support me. It is has been very comforting that the school is aware of this deployment and they will be waiting for me to return in two years.

On the lighter side of life, because not everything on this blog will be about the military, I (along with fellow chemists Justin S. and Adam C.) received the gold star for ingenuity in the Biochemistry lab. We recognized a step that required weighing and measuring out phosphate salt in to the correct pH buffer to the right volume and noticed a shortcut (we really didn't understand that whole thing until later). So, instead we used two pre-made buffers to get the correct pH and used that instead. It was much simpler and the results came out very well.

I have been attending my classes for the most part, and have been to all of my Biochem and Biology labs. I actually enjoy going to class and labs, it is so much easier to be in a learning environment when you choose to be there and learn instead of worrying about taking notes or the upcoming test or paper. Wouldn't it be nice if medical schools could just be satisfied that I went to classes and passed? Their concern is about how well you did, but sometimes that isn't how well you know the information or how good a doctor you would make.

Well, as they say, these are the days of our lives. Nick out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home