The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Saturday, October 22, 2005

A much needed update. . .

Hello everyone!

I have to first apologize for the lack of a recent update. I will defend myself by saying that I was sick for the past two days making anything a daunting task. Although, since I was sick I shouldn't have a whole lot to say right? Au contraire! (Did I spell that right, I don't know French!)

So, I think I mentioned that I had been working on a puzzle with Carrie. Well, we finished and we were thirsty for more. So we picked up ten more from Mankato but I don't intend on being able to finish them by the time I leave Gustavus on Wednesday. Anyways, I was sick on Thursday and Friday but I had to pull through for Jimmy's 21st B-day at Stout on Friday night.

I was feeling pretty crappy on Friday morning and didn't get out of bed until about 12:30. But, after about four hours of lamenting I decided that I had to suck it up, be a man, and got to Stout. After all, it only happens once that it is your best friend's 21st and golden birthday. Since it is fall break at Gustavus there weren't many people left, so I asked Carrie if she wanted to come along instead of loafing around the deserted campus. We left from Gustavus at about 5:15 and arrived in Menomonie at about 7:45 or so. Then, things get interesting.

Since I was still under the weather, I decided participating in Jimmy's 21st celebration (i.e. drinking) was not going to be a wise decision. Justin, Molly, Emily, Nicole, and Breanna were there to mention a few. He had quite the par-tay in the basement where I'm sure you could get drunk if you licked the concrete after last night. As Carrie and I thought things were winding down at about 3:00 we tried to find a place to sleep. We reluctantly found a futon that was slightly away from the sound emanating from the basement and the crowds that wandered throughout. We were really kidding ourselves thinking we would be able to sleep. I didn't end up getting a second of shut eye until about 6:00 in the morning, but it didn't really matter at this point. I said goodbye to Jimmy for likely the last time before I leave for Iraq. I am really glad that I could make it out to see him.

As for today, I have been doing laundry and packing with a little bit of NCAA football and a puzzle on the side. I think it is going to be a movie and lights out early tonight. I have to get rested up for the big game tomorrow when I am going to meet Nicole at the dome for the Vikes vs. the pack (I keep trying to tell myself I am just there for the atmosphere and it doesn't matter if we win or lose, but it doesn't seem to be helping. . .)

Valete Amici!
~Nick~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home