The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Bags are Almost Packed

I finally received a packing list yesterday for the items that I needed to put into certain duffel bags. It looks as though it will be three duffel bags, my rucksack, and a personal bag. A lot of the items that I am putting in the bags I can't imagine we will be using. When we get down to Camp Shelby we are getting new uniforms, boots, and miscellaneous for the desert.

I talked to Nygaard again, who is down at Shelby already, and he said they were finishing up there medical refresher course this week. After that, he has no idea what we will be doing in Mississippi for the months following. He is assuming that we will be doing busy work around the base, which will mean long and boring days. When I went through the dental checkup at Ripley the past weekend, the dentist said that my teeth looked great but she wanted my wisdom teeth pulled as soon as I get down to Mississippi. Well, that will be great. I get down there to a new environment and adjust for a day or two, and then yoink I have to get my teeth pulled, face swell up and bruise, and eat mushed up food. That won't be uncomfortable or anything. . .

Well, as time draws nearer to the departure date I get more and more anxious. I wish that they would send me to Iraq tomorrow so that I could come home as soon as possible. I can't say that I am at all nervous yet, especially since I am only going to Camp Shelby first; that is just another day in the Army. When the time comes to leave Shelby and go to Iraq I think my nerves will probably be a little strained, but the only way to do this is to go in with the best possible attitude.

Oops, I have to go to class now. I will finish these thoughts later.

Nick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home