The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Weekend Update 24APR2006 (first overseas)

Hello readers,

It has been quite a long time since a weekend update so I thought I would title this one so.

I have been actually quite busy since my last post. A group of about fifteen of us who anticipate being on the same mission together for the next year have been going to some extra classes to get us prepped for the mission. I wish I could explain the training but unfortuntely we are not allowed to talk about it as with most things that are my "life" for the rest of this deployment. It is awfully hard to have a chat with someone at home when you can't tell them where or what you are doing!

But there are other things that we can talk about....like puppies (ok, that one was for you nic).

I had to wait for an hour to get on this computer so I am going to get my worth out of it. This is me typing. This is me typing. . . seriously though.

Tron and I were able to drive around a little bit the other day to do a little "defensive driving' which was quite fun because you are in the desert and you can drive for miles without a road or hitting anything save maybe a camel. We actually saw a dead camel the other day which was sad yet entertaining because it added another verse to Sean and I's "rap video" that we are making out of pure boredom on the bus rides. Have you ever seen a camel up close, they are huge!

What else...?....It has just started to get hot here with the highs reaching into the 90's now but that isn't too bad. When it hit's 100 I think I will crap my pants, or maybe sweat to death. That is another awesome thing that I forgot to mention, they have free H2O!!! Everywhere! All we can drink is approved bottled water so it is everywhere you go; boy aren't they good to me.

To answer a few questions.

1. I know my new address for where I will be located.
2. I am not going to give the address until I am physically at the location because things are always changing and I won't get mail unless I am there.
3. No, I am not melting even though I have the fourth fairest skin tone in the company.
4. I am not in need of anything at this time, nor do I plan on needing anything but news from back home.

That is all for now. If you have any questions or want me to answer anything just leave a comment!

-SGT Bope-

6 Comments:

  • Nick - glad you have made it safe and sound! It's good to see that you were able to get on the net and at least post. I am sure you all have been very busy and will continue to be so. Take care of yourself!

    By Blogger proud fan, at 6:47 AM  

  • Puppies I lovvvvvveeeeeeee puppies I get to see them every day at work I guess dogs love the bank( well they do get doggy treats). Small cute furry ones are the best ever. The snow is gone here and it's fianlly starting to get warm.I will send you some pictures when the time is right.One more thing I am not sure if i told you Eric and I are looking for a smaller place of our own, YEAH less roomates. I love you and sending you lots of hugs.
    Nic

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • Good to hear you're safe.
    Keep having fun!
    Tura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 PM  

  • I'm new to your blog, but already have you in my 'favorites' list. =) Thank you for doing what you do. You and your fellow soldiers sure make us proud!! Take care of you. Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

    By Blogger CJ, at 8:27 PM  

  • Junk -- signed my comment under the wrong blog name -- oh well. I'm sure you get who I am. Obviously.

    Emily Bari

    By Blogger Dan, at 10:17 PM  

  • Hey Nick,
    It's good to hear that they keep you well hydrated and fed with steak and ice cream :) I can't wait to get your concrete address so we can send you fun little suprizes and goodies to share with your buddies. You are always in our hearts and prayers.

    Love and peace be with you my friend, Em

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home