The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

November 12th. What Great Irony!

Nov. 12th. After receiving no information from the Army for a week, I finally called them and demanded a date for deployment. Although it was good to finally get an answer, the date was a little disappointing.

First off, my 21st birthday is November 13th (ouch). Secondly, what in the heck am I going to do for the next month and a half? I was expecting to leave in two weeks, but now it looks as though I will be around for a while. If only I could stay for one extra month more I could have finished my classes and then be gone. Muy frustrado! And where am I going to stay??? Another disappointing phone call awaited me today.

Charlie Strey, our area coordinator for Residential Life at school woke me up from a cat nap this afternoon with a phone call. He informed me that if I was still on campus I was in the wrong. He said that I needed to leave by Friday. I was very polite, but a little discouraged as I was informed previously that I could stay until I needed to leave. I will be meeting him tomorrow but it seems that he wants me off campus. It's as though he just can't look past the technical policy which he stated "if you are not registered in classes you cannot be housed in on campus housing". He claims that I am no longer a student, which on paper is semi valid but this does not take into effect the special circumstances I am facing. I did not choose to drop out from school, or to drop my classes, I was forced to do so. I am already fully moved in and I am still attending classes even if I will not be receiving credit for them. He really got me upset with two other things he said, "you should have moved out within 24 hours of having dropped your classes". When I asked what the real problem with me staying was he replied "since you are not as intensive in your studies [not officially registered] as your classmates we are concerned that you might take their attention away from their studies and break policies". What a load of bull.

I am upset but I will have a civil discussion with him tomorrow and I will push for the allowance to stay on campus. I have a lot more to talk about but I will leave a post cras (tomorrow).

~Nick~

2 Comments:

  • Hi, My name is Donald you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a lead generation site. It pretty much covers lead generation related stuff. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:57 PM  

  • Nick I am sorry to hear about this buffoloni you have to deal with at school. I'm sure you will be able to figure something out, you know you have a wonderful network of people who care about you lots and we're all here if you need us. Talk to you soon buddy.

    lots o love, Em

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home