The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Vikes Win Again

mmmm.......this is our lunch (MRE's everyday)


Okay, so I am sore tonight.

Yesterday we had the combatives class like I said on the audio post. It wasn't what we were expecting but, it was still good training. Nothing about the class included non-lethal techniques, that is to say you would not use these in a bar room brawl. Hopefully, I will never have to engage an enemy without a my rifle and hit somebody in the jugular notch (better yet, they won't be that close). It was cold enough to note the presence of slain (sleet + rain = slain).

This morning we woke up and headed to the track to conduct our physical fitness test (from now on will be referred to as PT test). I knew that I wouldn't be in the best of shape as I haven't done a sit-up since. . . . well I can't really remember. I did well on the run and the push-ups but I guess my rectus abdominis failed me and I failed myself. I have never failed before, so this is a wake-up call to get my butt in gear.

We had class after lunch about extricating patients from vehicles, which was less than exciting and not very educating. After that, I finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife and now I am going to read Virgil's Aeneid. I have read four books in the two weeks I have been here and I think this is a good pace, but a costly endeavor (I spent 115$ at the bookstore the other week). Thankfully, people have been lending me books and thank you Carrie for sending me those two :-).

Oh, by the way, the Vikings won . . . .again. ... . . . . . . against the Packers. I will not gloat, but I will say that I am happy with the outcome.

Have a fantastic week everyone!
Nick

Post Scriptum- Nick's book recommendation of the week: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home