The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, November 07, 2005

The Weekend Update (7Nov2005)

Ok everyone here it is. . .

So, I am on a computer with internet at our company headquarters because nobody is around and the internet is working (for free).

Saturday- I finshed the lax day with no issues and started to settle into the barracks. I was able to get some more gear today, which included my body armor (metal and ceramic plates) and some other desert issue items like sand goggles and things. Not a whole lot more to report.

Sunday- We started our in-processing here at Camp Shelby which included 8 hours of briefings; power points and DVD's etc. . . Everyone back at the unit was preparing for the GAC (ground assault course) for the next day. I worked on some latin and called it a night.

Monday (today)- I woke up and worked out at the small gym behind our unit and then went for a run. I took a shower finally and then got dressed to go eat chow. We left for our medical and dental checks which lasted all day. I ended up with 5 immunizations to include anthrax, hep. A, yellow fever, and the flu shot. And of course I was flagged to have my wisdom teeth removed because they don't want me to have any problems overseas (they will be pulled on Monday). I remember prediciting they would pull them before my b-day but it looks like it will be the day after. They lost my audiology test so I had to do that over again. Needless to say to all you civillians, it was a long and trying day.

Well Mississippi isn't that bad, although I do miss Minnesota and the beautiful fall/winter climate. I am adjusting quickly to the environment and everything is falling into place. I have been put into ambulance platoon for the company so that is where I'll be. We know what our BCT mission is now. We have been charged with taking over the task of securing convoy routes in Iraq, details are scarce but for security purposes I am not able to say where or what exactly this would include. For all intensive purposes, you can just imagine that I am going to be "over there". I know that we are short medical personel and there is a good chance that I might be pulled out to a "line unit". Line units are the front infantry on the line and they can only be males, so that would be me That's all for now folks!

Sgt. Bope

Post Scriptum- Magistra Maria, if you read this you will be happy to know that I am studying my latin in anticipation of writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home