The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Frustration and Confusion

Well I thought I left an audioblog yesterday but apparently it didn't go through. I wanted to let everybody know that the surgery went well and my teeth are good. I still have today and tomorrow on percocet so I am not allowed to carry a weapon around when on narcotics. Instead, I have been carrying around the light up sword that Nicole so thoughtfully sent with me. I carry it to formation with me every night and people seem to get a kick out of it, and I tell them that the army is now issuing these instead of rifles.

Frustration- I can't clean my teeth very easily. For people who know me, I like to brush my teeth three times a day and listerine often. I have been careful not to disturb the sites of the missing teeth.

Confusion- Yesterday as I was lying on my bunk thinking about life I wondered just how I had ended up in such a place doing such things. I paused and thought about what I want to be doing with my life and somehow being at Camp Shelby was not what I envisioned (go figure). It is funny how over 70 men and women in our company get up everyday to do things that they have no real control of. We have been put here to do what we are told and yet nobody sits down and says "hey, this isn't what I want to be doing right now!". Instead, we get up and do what we need to do everyday and then at night we call home and go to bed. I guess I had never really thought about it this way, but I am riding along on this journey whether I want to or not.

I wish I could explain this better to everyone and maybe I will find the words to eventually explain the situation. I am having a great day (maybe the percocet is helping) and I hope everyone back home is enjoying the snow and the W the Vikings somehow managed to pull off on Sunday.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone,
Nick

2 Comments:

  • I agree with your mom , and I am glad to hear the lite up sword is keeping you company,guess what we recieved our first snow fall i guess this means winter is a coming.Nic :-]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 AM  

  • Hello Nick,
    Glad to hear that you are doing better. I am praying for you and all the frustration and confusion you have right now. I definitely agree with your mom as well. You are doing a great job and I couldn't be more proud of you. Christina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home