The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Saturday, November 26, 2005

A Well Needed Update

It is pouring outside right now, and you will note that it is 11:22 at night as I am writing this. The reason I am up so late as that I will be performing Battalion (hereafter denoted BN) CQ (charge of quarters?) until nine in the morning (I started at 6:00 pm). So, what does this entail you may ask. . . . I have to answer all phone calls, make a radio check every hour, and stay awake! It will be a long night.

Thanksgiving was not much to talk about. We actually had a BN parade that included "floats" from each of the companies. I actually was put in with task of making ours and we decided to make it a Christmas theme with the Commander (CO) as Santa. I will put up pictures when I can get them uploaded. The dining hall (DFAC) did prepare a afternoon meal that had turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. It was good enough for me, I really can't complain because food is food.

We haven't really done a whole lot since. Minor things like cleaning vehicles and going to classes about vehicles have been done. We are supposed to be going out to the field on Monday until the 15th of December but we aren't really sure how this will work. I will have to update my blog by phone if I can get a signal where we will be. So, if there aren't any updated for a while you'll know why.

I pray everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving and they were able to spend time with their families. As for us down here, we just think of it as one Thanksgiving down, one to go (but the next one will be in Iraq). I am already thinking about going to Arizona for Christmas to visit my Mother and then getting back to Minnesota to visit the rest of my family because guess what?.. . . .that means that is is one Christmas/New Years down and one to go. LOL :-). And yes those will also be in Iraq the second time around. Ohhh, I will also see a second birthday in Iraq, that is kind of weird to think about. I will have turned 21 and 22 when this deployment to Iraq is all said and done.

So keep your chins up everyone, the Holidays are right around the corner and for most of you that means a break from school (finals finished of course) and for some a break from work (me). I hope all you Gusties are studying hard and keeping up the good work at school so finals can come witha little less stress.

Until next time,
Nick

3 Comments:

  • Hang in there Nick, just remember you are missed!!
    Carrie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:23 AM  

  • Glad to hear that you had some kind of Thanksgiving Dinner. Hang in there we are praying for you!
    ~Angela

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 PM  

  • Still missing you. Hope it all goes by fast...
    Tura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home