The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Class is out!

I finished the last day of my medical refresher course today. It has been a hectic past couple of days. We went out to the medical "lanes" to run through rapid trauma assessments. I will put some pictures up when I get the chance that will show you where we were and what it looked like.

Each team, a collective of two medics, has to go through five different stations. Each station has a different scenario, but all have the same mission. We needed to get all of our patients out of the line of fire and the perform a rapid treatment, you only get ten minutes. It really tested our ability to stay focused with multiple casualties, gun fire/ explosions, real patients, and the instructors breathing down our neck and yelling. I didn't even mention the smoke and the low light conditions. My team did pretty good, we had a few issues but we got the mission accomplished. As tiring as the whole ordeal was, it was a lot of fun and should serve as our baseline when we respond to real emergencies in Iraq.

This will probably be my last post before Ft Polk, so I can't guarantee any posts until we get back. I will try to leave an audio message when I get the chance. We have a meeting with the BN Commander tonight to get a briefing with more detail on our mission (as a company) overseas.

Have a great rest of the week and February for that matter!!!

Bope out.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home