The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Did I mention the sand and the camels?

Ok.

So I know I already mentioned camels but I guess I didn't fully realize that they are all around us. We have been gone for the past three days on a training mission so I got some good time out in the "field". We came close to actually hitting a camel but it turned back at the last second; they can really move!

The sand. It wasn't so bad at first but now it is just annoying. When the wind picks up, which it invariably does every day, you just can't keep it out of your eyes, your mouth, your ears, your nose, and of course your weapon. I wasn't able to take a shower for the past three days so you can imagine the sand that I washed of myself last night.

More about the living conditions. We are living in tents with power and air conditioning which is actually quite nice, they even have cots to sleep on. We are still using port-a-john's for latrines ( a side note: every morning you get to read some funny new comment written on the walls inside) and showers are available if water is available. Like I mentioned before the saving grace is the food. They have activities here but you have to have an open schedule to get to them.

I have been jockeying to get internet at the base that we are headed to. I am sure they have internet available at some random building with long lines like here but it would be nice to have it in our rooms. Unfurtunately, we have to get satellite service which is really expensive and now always dependable. If we get enough people to share the cost should go down at least.

This is all I have for now. I am trying to fill my spare time today so that maybe time will go a little quicker. Everyone have a great weekend!

Nick

1 Comments:

  • great to hear from you Nick! glad to see you posting and doing alright. like I told Troy at medicevolved, you've gotta watch out for that sand - it will find creases you never knew you had!

    take care!

    By Blogger proud fan, at 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home