The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, November 06, 2006

What? That's my seat!

We as homo sapiens share a lot of characteristics with our animal ancestors. Humanity is filled with habit and routine; all you have to do is take a look at the things that you do every day that just come naturally.

Every day I wake up and go to the bathroom, this is a given for most people also. I eat breakfast, go to work, eat lunch, back to work etc. Granted these are things that must be done and almost everyone does, however, let's take a look at some other things that sociology takes interest in.

When you go to a class you generally pick a seat located in the room for a reason. Whatever reason that may be, you will generally choose that exact seat the next day if no other person is sitting there. It is so innate in the desire to choose the same spot that I have found myself upset to find someone sitting in my seat. Of course I can adapt and take a seat nearby and just scowl at the individual for the whole hour until they get the point, "hey dude, you're in my seat".

Alley cat brown Sketchers shoes, crest toothpaste, New Balance 717s, and Listerine. What do they have in common? When I run out of these things I simply go to the store and buy the exact same thing again (Particularly with the Sketchers. I have bought that same pair of shoes since freshman year of high school). Oddly enough, they are either shoes or hygiene products, but that's besides the point and I'm sure Freud would have something to say about that.

It is that drive to be comfortable that makes people want some things to stay the same. Change can't always be good; sometimes you just want to order that same great meal every time you go to the restaurant. The list goes on and on and everybody has their particular habits.

One of my habits here has been to use the same bathroom stall and shower every day that I have been here. It's like the classroom, "What? There's somebody in my shower!" Sometimes I just have to go and wait somewhere and then come back so that I get the stall that I want. Call it what you will, but I know that everyone has their routines also.

Well today, after getting off of work, I headed to my bathroom. I did the usual routine, I put on my flip-flops and trudged through the rocks and went to the third stall from the end; my stall. Luckily it was empty, so I went in. About five seconds later there was a knock on the door and I heard this Indian accent, "bathroom cleaning". I know you are picturing this guy in a turban with his cleaning gear knocking at the door.

I promptly answered, "Yep, I'll be out in a sec'". He asked again and I replied the same way but he still would not listen or come into the bathroom to start cleaning. I was confused but just washed my hands and walked out, that I when I saw the smirk. Oh yeah, one of those, 'I am smiling because you are about to be embarrassed' looks. He points to the freshly painted sign next to the door and it read "Female Latrine". Not to be made fun of I asked when they put the sign up and they said it had been earlier in the day. I made the remark that they needed to put up some yellow caution tape or something because I think most guys will probably do the same thing I did.

I rounded up the other guys and we started a protest:
"There aren't even any females around here!"
"So I have to walk to the next bathroom? Thanks!"
"Yeah, nice"
"Nice signs, I am sure everybody will see those. . ."
"Give the women the other bathroom. This one is ours!"
"Yeah, give em' that smelly one over there (pointing)"

As you can see, it wasn't just me who was concerned about losing their bathroom, it is a human phenomena. Anyways, I guess I will have to find a new stall and make it my new routine. Let's just hope I don't stumble in the wrong bathroom in the middle of the night and scare some girl when I go to the urinal.

Adapt and overcome,
Nick

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home