The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, October 09, 2006

A Close Call and a Pissing Match

Hello everyone,

For some odd reason I am in a good mood at the end of my day here. I just got off of a 13 hour shift and you would think that I would be quite annoyed at this, but surprisingly enough I am quite chipper. I think I have given up hope that the hours may go down and we might see relief, so I just bite the bullet and wait.

Quite funny actually, at the end of our shift we came upon another coalition (US ARMY) vehicle and we immediately recognized it as friendly. We proceeded past it and kept on rolling but they eventually stopped one our trucks and "inquired" into why we were there. I say inquire because many words came out their mouths that I can't write on this blog, apparently we were intruding into their area and they didn't like having us around. After choice words were spat between our trucks we headed back home to end our shift and received a radio transmission on the way. We were told that our entire team was to report to the headquarters.

When we arrived it was clear what the call was about. Basically, HQ had a call that there was a tussle between the two units and a higher up person was pissed that we had come into their area. After explaining that we were ordered to go into the area by command, and telling this individual from the other unit that their soldiers were slacking on the job he was none too pleased. It was a pissing match that we came out on top of. We found out later that this unit had apparently mistaken us for the enemy at first and was going to engage us. It's a good thing they didn't because they would have had a hard time explaining how they engaged three other US military vehicles that clearly didn't pose a threat. Not the brightest bulbs on the tree huh?

In other news, much has happened in the world of Minnesota sports since my last post. The Wild won their first game I believe, the Twins were swept in three games, and I didn't get to see the Vikings game but I heard that it was a close win. Sorry Packers fans, if it's a win your looking for you may be waiting for a while.

Now I am drained, and I'm off to dream of a better place.

Have a great week everyone,
Nick

11 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home