The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, September 29, 2005

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. . .

So, I met with Charlie Strey (the res. life coordinator) yesterday and we had a conversation about my presence on campus. After explaining my situation and my affinity to continue classes even though I will not be receiving credit, he decided to let me stay. He cautioned that I must follow all of the campus policies for on-campus living and take care not to distract other students from their studies. I am really happy with this result.

I went to White Bear Lake last night with Patty and we saw the "Lord of War" with Nicholas Cage. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting but more thought provoking. Patty had an eye appointment at 4:00 today so we went to breakfast and then off to Barnes and Noble to find some good books. I am a real sucker for books. As soon as I walked in they had me snared with the "classics section", a collection of the best literature written. I ended up buying "A Tale of Two Cities" (Dickens) and "Walden and Civil Disobedience" (Thoreau). I have read them both, but I didn't have them in hardcover; now I do. If two books weren't enough, they had a book lying out next to the checkout counter entitled "The Encyclopedia of Survival Techniques" which caught my eye, so I got that too.

I am heading up north to see my family this weekend because I don't know when everyone will be able to get together again. I think that I will try to find a cheap flight down to Arizona to see my mother sometime before I leave for Mississippi, as I now have over a month to do so. I am also toying with the idea of taking a last minute flight out of the country to anywhere some weekend before I leave. If anybody wants to go with, let me know! I know Patty wants to go too. I would also like to go somewhere with my Dad but he is a little hard to plan around with how busy his schedule usually is. I am open water PADI dive certified and it would be nice to actually make use of this.

That is about all I have on my mind for today. Nick.

Post Scriptum: Whoever can tell me why I gave this post it's title will win a gold star. Just leave a comment.

2 Comments:

  • Well it is from a Tale of Two Cities.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 PM  

  • Nick i just read your quote and it is clearly Dickens, Tale of Two cites. You must not have got to far in to it because i think those a the first words of the book. Ha ha ha.
    Mike

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home