The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, October 31, 2005

The Very Scary Weekend Update. BOO! (Oct. 31, 2005)

Happy Halloween everyone! I hope you are all enjoying the pleasures of candy corn and peanuts on this all too fun holiday. Anybody actually going trick or treating? Justin, Matt, Mike ? No? Well, maybe some of you have kids that you will be bringing door to door so that you can pick through their good candy when you get home.

Saturday- Dad, Kristi, and Kathy spent most of the day working on the lawn and raking up leaves etc. . . I sat on my butt for most of the day admittedly and that was just fine for me. I did have to wash and press my uniforms which actually took up a fair amount of time; so there! Everyone was pretty worn out so they went to bed early.

Sunday- Ahhh yes, sleeping in is a luxury that I will have to live without for a long while. I talked to some people down at Camp Shelby and they said that they were averaging 5-6 hours of sleep. Now, I don't know about everyone else but I enjoy my 8 hours of sleep. Dad made chili and we watched the football game until we could take no more (there really is nothing to discuss, packers and vikings fans unite for the Bears!!!!). It was back to the housework after the game. Somebody decided that it was a great day to start putting up Christmas lights before the nasty Minnesota winter set in and nobody wants to go outside to put up the lights. So we did this into the evening until dark including an 8ft tall blow up snowman (cheesy, I know, but fun none the less). After a quick dip in the hot tub we all played Sequence. I, nor my father, had ever played before but I was teamed up with Kristi. I would say that we played wisely and won 5 games to 1. This is to put it nicely, but I know that Kathy reads this and she doesn't like to lose, but neither do I. It's not like I have to win, but I don't like losing. Anybody who knows me would definitely say that I am a "competitive" person and probably "argumentative" (my mother was a lawyer when I was growing up, what do you expect?). I use quotes because they have actually been said.

So now it is the last day at home and I really must finish my packing. Dad is bringing me down to Minneapolis in the morning to report at the armory, go through briefings for three days, and then Friday I am leaving on a jet plane to Mississippi. I will update one more time before I leave and then I can't tell you when I will be able to post again. They have internet at Shelby but I might be in a tent for a couple weeks first.

Have a wonderful fall day and Happy Halloween!
~Nick~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home