The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Did you get that memo about the TPS reports?

Dom: Hello, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom: Yeah. Uh, did you get that memo?
Peter: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. The problem is, I just forgot this one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even a problem anymore.
Dom: Yeah. It's just that we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could just remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

This quote, coming from the1999 classic pop. cult. movie Office Space, seems to really emphasize what some of my days are like. You know the kind. When you go to work and somebody says so and so is looking for you and it's usually somebody above you. Then you talk to your boss and they point out something you did wrong and how to remedy it but of course you already know what to do but you say "yes sir" or "right away sir". As you walk away to get to work someone else above you pulls you aside and repeats everything your boss just told you. Then co-workers start hearing the buzz and they ask you about it and by this time all you want to do is pull the words out of the dictionary and never hear them again. This happened to me today which isn't all together surprising because we know that people love to talk about other people and their business. Anyone who has seen the above movie knows completely what I am getting at. If you haven't seen the movie, where have you been?

Let's see what else? My blog has seen over 6,000 visits since I started writing last September. Blogging is of course a journal for me, It's like leaving your diary on a bus stop for any stranger passing by to read. My original intention was to make this a virtual bulletin board so that people at home could know that I am still alive and well. Now I find that I am writing this for myself and I look forward to the next time I can put up a post. Anyways, I really appreciate all the comments that I have been recieving because it makes writing so much better when you know that people are still there to read what you put up.

Ahhhhh......funny. Anyone who has been in the military knows about the concept about the Armed Forces Network right? They have a few channels on the television at the chow hall or the internet cafe here that show things like sports, movies, and news. The real joy of watching comes when they take out all the commercials and put in their own messages i.e. , safety messages, recruting messages, and altogther comical skits. The other day however, I actually saw a real advertisement that they missed and it was just one of those things that makes you rememeber what life is really like. It would be much the equivalent if I were to walk outside and find a patch of grass outside the door of my living container here in the desert. (I am laughing out loud right now and people always look at me funny but I don't care). I also just realized that it was like being an Orwellian novel where the people don't know the truth about the "real world" or something.

Working on those coversheets,
Nick

Food for thought: Are you one of those people who reread your writings and check grammar and spelling even on something as informal as this? I guess I am, but I always miss something.

7 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger proud fan, at 3:46 PM  

  • "Have you seen my stapler?"

    I love that movie -- great quote Nick.

    Glad to you posting, whether it is for yourself or for anyone else. I know that you and I don't know one another personally. But seeing your blog somehow makes me feel connected to my best friend, who is over there in the 1/133rd Inf.

    I've heard a lot of people compare being in Iraq for deployment is like one long Groundhog Day (another classic movie.)
    Just keep doing your job to the best of your ability - that's all anyone can ask for. People who talk about other people and gossip do it because it makes them feel better about themselves. Pity those people -- they will eventually understand when the tables turn and it is them that someone else is talking about.
    Take care.
    ~Tab

    p.s. Yes - I try to check for spelling errors and etc., but I always miss things. (That's why you see where I deleted the post above. It was easier just to re-write it then to proof-read!)

    By Blogger proud fan, at 3:48 PM  

  • We try not to find your few mistakes... :)
    I do the same thing.
    Hope all is still well.
    Tura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

  • What a surprise...I haven't seen that movie either...I guess I will add it to the list.
    I hope all is well. Take care.
    Carrie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM  

  • I work with 7 people at the bank total so i know what you mean, and with 7 people it dosn't take long for things to get spread. With the whole grammer thing never count on me to see your mistakes I make plenty myself. Well g2g Leo is climbing up my back right now I think he wants attention.

    Sending lots of hugs Nicole :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:00 PM  

  • Just found your BLOG this morning. I enjoy the way you write. No I do NOT check my spelling or grammar on things like this. Good luck figuring our some of what I type.
    Memorial Day weekend in the USA. My husband lies in a grave on the Arsenal Island. he was a Marine back in the Vietnam Era. My son our of the 3rd ID in Ft Stewart GA.
    I send my gratitude to you and anyone else you want to share this post with. My prayers are to keep each and everyone of you saf, and to bring you home ASAP. I guess I don't understand why some of you can BLOG and others can not because it is seen as a security danger. But having two men I love involved in the military for many a year, maybe I do understand the "thought process". I'll be in touch.

    By Blogger glo, at 6:30 AM  

  • Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home