The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Has anyone seen my sanity laying around anywhere?

Hello everyone.

Lack of motivation is setting in and I find it difficult to even think about what I will write today. The hours are still long and the temperatures have nowhere to go but up. Even eating food is a chore because of my body and mind's sole interest in taking in fluid to replace what I have lost. In other words I am eating less, sleeping less, and drinking more water. Oh well, you aren't here to have a life, you are here to work. End of discussion.

If I haven't already said earlier I have moved into the permanent housing for the duration of this tour. They look like trailer homes save for the fact that they have three rooms with two individuals in each. They are they best we have had since we started this deployment last fall yet they are smaller than my first dormroom in freshman year. You would not believe the difference a real bed makes! After sleeping on cots for the past whatever time, a bed with a matress is the highlight of one's day.

I miss home. I really don' t think about it a whole lot during the day but I just wrote a letter to my Father and I realized just how much I miss being in Minnesota and having a life. I miss the seasons and I miss the miserable winters and humid summers. I miss the stress of having to prepare for finals week at Gustavus which is what all my fellow Gusties are doing right now. I miss seing my friends and family and the time I had to do whatever I felt like. I miss driving down the road without a care in the world because I knew that nobody wanted to harm me.

I am very adapt to stress. I have dealt with it all my life and I have shouldered most of it on my own. The stress that people encounter here is a very different stress from the kind that they felt at home, even I feel myself losing grip and I wonder if I will get up the next day to go to work. Of course I do get up, and of course I go to work, and when the job is done I go to sleep so that I can do it again the next day. That really is the life of a soldier.

I wish my best to everybody at home,
Nick

On the brighter side of things!

CONGRATULATIONS, IT'S A BOY: Congratulate Dan and Angela on the new member to their family: Ryan Willard born on the 9th of May in Detroit Lakes with all eyes, ears and fingers (as far as I know). Congratulations you two!

7 Comments:

  • Nick -- having a real bed is going to do wonders for your body and mind... it's sad how many of us forget how important the little things really are...
    we all continue to support you all and keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    hydrate! hydrate! hydrate!
    then hydrate some more!!!

    By Blogger proud fan, at 10:05 PM  

  • Hi,

    Nick I really enjoy your posts. It is nice to hear a no nonsense viewpoint on the iraqi conflict. Keep it up.

    FYI: Finals suck.

    FYI2: my dad is going to take some people up flying today. remember last year?



    Scott

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

  • Hey Nick,
    Good to hear you're alright. We miss ya over here as another semester is coming to an end. Anyway keep your sanity over there; it really puts our stress over finals and term papers into perspective. Well good to hear from you. Keep it up. Best of luck from your former roommate.
    Mike L

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

  • I enjoy reading your posts. Your view on life at XXXXX is interesting. You see, I know several soldiers who recently redeployed from where you are. Your Unit replaced them. It's true...there are 2 versions of every story. God bless and protect you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:15 PM  

  • Nick- as I sit here and watch my new kitty leo run and play around it reminds me of the simple things, leo is gratfull for a litter box,food,water,and having a mommy and daddy that love him, take care and just remember we all love you and miss you too . Sending lots of hugs.

    Nicole,Eric,and Leo :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

  • Good to hear that you got some 'real' housing. That really can make a lot of difference. At times when I was out in the field, sleeping in my 5-ton (in the front seat) was more comfortable than on a cot.

    My job is sending me to MN from June to October for about two weeks each month. I'll be in the twin cities metro doing some training.

    Well, good hearing how things are going.

    Good luck & God bless.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 AM  

  • Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home