The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, April 24, 2006

The Weekend Update. . .and What You Don't See on TV

Every time I post a Weekend Update I find it entertaining because in this job there are no weekends and I have to check a calender to see if it indeed is a weekend. Nonetheless, I will keep putting them up because I know that for those reading this there is a weekend.

I went out yesterday for the first time. It was a strange experience to finally be outside the comforts of a secure base, riding in the humvee (I write this phonetically) and seeing the workings of a society of people that we are here to protect. So what don't you see from the media?

Let me tell you what I saw on this patrol that I have never seen in the news. I saw a mixed group of soldiers, young to old, white to black to latino, and national guard to active duty. What did they have in common? Each day this group goes out on patrols and each day they open their hearts to the people of this country. One soldier lives every day so that he can take as much food and water from our chow hall that can fit into his truck to give to children and their parents along the road. They know the people and the people know them. When they arrive the children come running from hundreds of yards away to smile and wave to the soldiers and the highlight of their week is when they get an orange or an apple or a bottled water from an American soldier. These same soldiers have been through the streets of Bagdhad and have lost men but they still give out to these people.

I am not a real political person and I don't want to go into that, I just think people should know of the good that is coming out of this place; a place that once had people starving under the hand of Saddam. Just remember that the media shows what they want to show.

It's always Monday,
Nick

7 Comments:

  • You can't be for real that we are doing good things over there?
    Glad you see it, and enjoy it!
    Say hi to all the freaks with you that I know!

    By Blogger Erik Holtan, at 11:12 AM  

  • Hi Nick,

    I've been reading your blog periodically. Good to hear that things are going well over there. We miss you here at gustieland. Last weekend Mitch got so drunk that he let me write on his face. He is such a little shit.

    Not much is new with me. Looking forward to the summer and classes being over. Calc II is the worst class ever. I haven't gotten better than a C on any test. I'm praying for a B.

    Scotty

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 PM  

  • thanks for this post Nick - I think it is important that people realize the positive things sometimes instead of only believing the things they are fed theourh the mainstream media. Glad you are doing alright -- take care!

    By Blogger proud fan, at 8:08 PM  

  • Thanks for giving us the real story. We sure need it around here! Be safe.

    By Blogger CJ, at 9:40 PM  

  • Always good to hear from you and even better to hear about the good going on over there. We're proud that you're a part of the good things.
    Stay safe--
    Rura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:02 PM  

  • Thank-You. Thank-You for being there and for spreading the real story. You all rock.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 PM  

  • Nick- Luv ya miss ya tons, So much going on right now and as soon as I have time I am going to write you a letter, any=who jusy got a new kitten. It's a boy and I named him Leo(Leonardo). Hope all is still well.
    Lots of prayers Nicole

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home