The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Weekend Update. . ."Give me. . .[air conditioning] or give me death!"

Have you ever. . . . Been so hot that you thought you had died and gone to hell? If hell is as hot as it is when I put my battle gear on an go out at the peak of the desert heat then it is my only goal in life to go to heaven.

The power went out in the tent this morning. Luckily I was just getting up but some people were still asleep, well not for long because without A/C you can't survive. I had to go out again today and I think the temperature hit 109 degrees. Add the fact that I had all of my body armor on, I was packed into a humvee with and engine that stuggles to stay cool, and the beautiful sun was out and shining, and you can imagine the destruction to a man of European heritage such as myself. I urinated twice today. For informational purposes, I drink two Gatorades at every meal and two to four liters of water between meals. Where does the water go? Yeah, I stink. Forget about clean uniforms, I have given up. My whole top uniform is sopping wet to the point of being wrung out for salt water after every outing. But enough about this, you have heard enough.

We got released slightly earlier today which was much needed as our crews are starting to get worn out, tired, and cranky which is the last thing a leader wants when they need something from them. Supposedly we get to move into our "cans"tomorrow, which of course I found out randomly from people when I got off shift (doesn't matter, I will be at work of course). There could be a nuclear explosion in our tent area and I wouldn't know because I am never around nor do I see all the other people running missions.

I really enjoyed the responses on my last post. Who knew random thoughts could stir up such a public response.

I wish I learned Arabic before I came to Iraq. The fortunate thing for me is that I can have a translator with me all day and I ask him how to say certain formalities to talk to the locals. The second word I wanted to know after 'hello' was 'hot'. I have some key phrases down but that lasts a whole minute and then they invariably think I know Arabic. I will get better and by the end of this thing I had better be able to hold an informal conversation! I must go, the Gym awaits. Yeah, it's 1:22 am but at least nobody is in there to judge me right?

Still wishing I could tell you more,
Nick

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home