The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, May 04, 2006

A Late Night Scribble

It's 2:30 in the morning. My legs trembled feeling like rubber as Sean and I walked from the gymnasium to the chow hall, tripping over rocks and dragging through the sand and mud. We made it to the midnight chow at 1:39, nine minutes late. Much to our dismay they actually closed at 1:00 am and so we couldn't even get a banana. So we sauntered to the internet cafe because I demanded that Sean call home for the first time since we have been in Iraq. We casually laugh at the thought that we are preparing for "beach season" as we work out after work every day.

It has been over a month now since I have been overseas. The time is actually going by fast now and I couldn't even tell you what month it is, or year for that matter. Time is really awkward here. The lights are almost always out in our tent because everyone is working and sleeping at different hours. As you can tell I am working whenever I have to and so my hours seem to keep changing, Semper Gumby I guess.

So recent thoughts going through my head include:

1. "What in the am I going to do when I get home?"
2. "Are my arms bigger? They look bigger."
3. "Am I becoming more neurotic with every day that passes?"
4. "How did I get here in my life?"
5. "Seriously, I think I have at least a five pack now, just can't get that last one."
6. "I miss chemistry. I think I will draw out the molecular structure of 1,1,1,2-tetraflouroethane" And I did. It was the propellant in some compressed air I found.

Valete mi amici! Is that right? Anyone?
Nick

12 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home