The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Finally Where I'm Supposed to Be

Yes ladies and gentlemen the day has finally come and gone. Yesterday, I flew in via a shaky military cargo plane to my final destination in Iraq. Although I am not in my final housing, at least I am in an air-conditioned tent for now. The base is just as expected with of course lots of sand and more sand.

Ask me, "So Nick, what was your first experience in Iraq?."

My answer would go something like this. . .

"Well I was loaded unto the back of a military cargo plan with all of my battle gear along with the rest of my company and our pallets of duffle bags. We were interlocked, packed in like sardines, with the temperature that day in the mid 90's. I put on my headphones for the flight and closed my eyes. . . . . . . I woke up because something wet has hit me in the face. 'What the hell?. . . Sgt Stee did you sneeze on me?' And then it hit me. This was not snot but projectile pink vomit from someone after we had dropped hundreds of feet in an instant. I wiped off my face and thanked the man upstairs that I was not sitting next to the individual, that person was Yang, the small asian man in our company. After I assesed the situation of myself, I wasn't too bad, I looked to see if I could help Yang. It was futile. His lap was covered as was his pistol and rifle. Thankfully we had only fifteen minutes or so left and I kept myself from vomiting also. I actually tried to get the 2nd LT next to me to puke also by describing the color and consistency of the vomitus. Needless to say the LT didn't puke and we landed safely at the base. We were now nine hours difference in time from home."

I hope everyone has a great weekend and a wonderful Easter with their families.

From Iraq Happy Easter,
Nick

9 Comments:

  • Wow! That is really gross! I bet it smelled just horrible! Hmmm, what's the viscosity of that stuff? JUST KIDDING! YUCK! Anyhow, great to hear you made it okay. Take care and know that there are tons of people thinking of you all every single day!

    By Blogger proud fan, at 2:23 AM  

  • Nick: We are happy you made it to your destination safely, but sounds like it was eventful. We think of you often and check your blog on a regular daily basis. It is always good to hear from you.

    The ice went out on the lake this week, so you know what that means, putting in the dock, and guess what....we bought MORE dock!!!!

    Happy Easter...hope to hear from you soon. Love, Dad, Kathy and Kristi (Kirby too)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 AM  

  • Glad to see you have arrived safely. I look foward to reading more of your accounts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:28 AM  

  • Remember when I gave Yang a big dip at AT? Yeah, he guy seems to have a hard time with puking!
    Good to see you have a blog! Stay safe and don't try to be a hero!

    By Blogger Erik Holtan, at 11:36 AM  

  • I am glad you made it safely! Thanks for the detailed description of the flight...
    Happy Easter!
    Carrie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:49 PM  

  • Good to hear you guys all made it there ok. Thank you for what you're doing and for the daily sacrifices you make to ensure our freedom.

    I'm a military wife and I truly appreciate you and the other troops. Will keep you in my prayers. Stay safe :)
    God Bless.

    By Blogger Sandra, at 7:59 AM  

  • Sorry you can't be with your family! We've been through a couple of deployments and missed out on anniversarys, birthdays.....
    Anyway, hope you have the best Easter you can!
    Stay safe Soldier!!

    By Blogger Gitti, at 2:20 PM  

  • Nick,

    Believe it or not, yours is the first blog that I have ever visited. It is a perfect medium for allowing friends and family to share your experiences. I look forward to more stories - Your collection of desert adventures will be worthy of Herodotus by the time you're done.

    Go, Gustie Classicists! Look out for plundered Mesopotamian artefacts - I hear there are a lot out there.

    Best wishes for a safe mission.

    Eric Dugdale

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 AM  

  • I delight in, result in I discovered just what I was taking a
    look for. You've ended my four day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

    Feel free to visit my website weightloss program

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home