The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Friday, May 26, 2006

What flavor would you like sir?

It is the question that I am asked when I begin to approach what some would call a guilty pleasure, "What flavor would you like sir?". It was a bad idea first when they decided to have a ice cream bar everyday at every meal here and second when they allowed me to see it. The man behind the counter patiently waits for my sometimes catious reponse as I think about and weigh the important decision. One scoop or two? Chocolate or Cookies and Cream? Both? This past week I decided to cut down my ice cream intake to once a week, down from the maybe three or four that times a week I have been doing. I checked my body fat percentage and I registered 13.5%. Not too bad, but I think I can get it down to ten but only if I start to limit my intake on the "good bads" (an oxymoron that I think I just made up, hence the "quotes").

As some of you may be able to tell, my mood is up slightly from the last few posts. I finally had a day off the other day and so I feel slightly refreshed although I don't know when the next day off will be. I am working the same hours and the same job but I don't know for how long it will last. Things are always changing.

Say for instance my two weeks leave plan. The person that was planning on going on two weeks leave to Europe with me has decided that he is going to go home. Some people just want to go home and see their families and their families want to see them. Although I know my family would love for me to come home for leave I decided from the begining that I wanted to spend mine in Europe. I have always loved traveling and the deployment gave me the perfect opportunity. The Army is already sending me there so all I have to do is get out of the plane and start traveling the countryside. But now I must find people to go with or I am not quite sure I will travel it alone. If anyone is interested in coming to Europe for a week or two, drop me a note.

I did some interesting things the other day, but I will wait for another day to tell everyone. I enjoy being secretive and all but I would much rather be able to tell you all what it is that I am actually doing over here. I'll share a little bit next post.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Nick

P.S.- I didn't check my grammar or spelling this time and I don't care! Hah, I am so bold.

11 Comments:

  • Awesome Post -- Good to know you are alright -- Yummy- ice cream!!! :)

    By Blogger proud fan, at 5:32 PM  

  • Heya.

    Just a fellow Gustie who found your blog and wishes you nothing but the best.

    Thank you for your service and for posting about your experiences. God speed and Happy Memorial Day weekend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 PM  

  • That is a tough decision on the ice cream! Only once a week??Anyways, I would be up for traveling Europe. Have a good day.
    Carrie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 PM  

  • Hmmm have you ever hesrd of Bryers Cherry and chocolate chunk ice cream. 1 time a week. There is no way. I kindof live for that stuff right now. Only 1 bowl a day, but I figure the calcium is good for me.

    Glad you got yourself a day off. Hoping you will find someone who wants to see some of Europe with you. Sounds kind of fun, although i certainly understand those who are wanting to go home for a family visit too. I think maybe somehow there needs to be time alotted to do both. Just my humble opinion, but I happen to think it a great one. OR hey fly families (immediate families to Europe...have leave and family time too. Just another thught and yes i think Uncle Sam should book the flights for the families and the airlines should let them fly military fare if they are meeting someone on leave serving in either Iraq or Afghanistan right now.

    By Blogger glo, at 6:19 PM  

  • Oh, you can travel solo through Europe's countryside...never know who you might meet along the way. Hmmm!!! It could be interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 AM  

  • OK So it is officially Memorial Day here in the Good Ole USA, and I have stopped by to say Thank You. i will never ever take my freedome for granted, and will always have a sense of gratitude for anyone in uniform who helped to get it this way, and serves to keep it this way. So please extend my thanks to others over there serving with you. god Bless You and your family and yes God Bless America!!!!

    By Blogger glo, at 9:55 AM  

  • Nick,
    Why are you worried about your body fat %? When you go on the 2 week leave and drink and carouse, it will go back up!
    But if it makes yo feels better, buff it up!
    Hope things are well, and you all stay safe and happy!

    By Blogger Erik Holtan, at 7:42 AM  

  • Definitely cookies and cream.

    By Blogger Frazzledsister, at 1:34 PM  

  • Glad to see a sense of a smile in your blog!! Let me know dates for Europe and I'm there. My boss needs to cut hours and I need a break... and I've been meaning to get over there.
    Definitely cookies 'n' cream :) have one for me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 AM  

  • Hey... just passing through and found your blog! You know, Europe isn't scary... you'll have a ball - and most of us speak English! Ireland is a must...

    Anyway, stay safe and carry on doing everything you guys do so well out there!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:56 AM  

  • Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home