The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, July 20, 2006

A Not So Stressful Situation

"A mentally or emotionally disruptive or upsetting condition occurring in response to adverse external influences and capable of affecting physical health." This is the textbook definition to stress.

Every person encounters stress throughout their lives and some would say that going to war should be the most stressful event in my life. At the beginning of this deployment I thought this was the case, but sitting under the starry night that every man, woman, and child sees anywhere in this earth I came to a realization. This is not as stressful as I once thought.

The many things that I thought were stressing have been brushed to the back of my head and I can see clearly now. Leaving my life behind, school, family, friends, and the like is a difficult thing, however, not something unable to be dealt with. When life throws a curveball into your plan you have to adapt and channel your energies elsewhere.

I sat outside with Sean and Parviz during the cooler dessert night tonight and I came to the realization that being here isn't that bad. I can adapt and overcome, to use the Army cliche. What I left behind is still waiting at home for me to finish it just won't be the same as when I left. Change is inevitable but necessary and let's hope this is only a temporary change.

I have learned from when I was young that stress is normal and can be harnessed, controlled, and put to good use. Many good things can come of this deployment. Seeing war first hand, lives taken by fellow human beings, is something that can never be forgotten but this will only further define who I am and what I believe in. In short, coming to Iraq and serving will allow me to come home with many things that I may have never seen, felt, or thought about before. It can only make me a stronger person.

I of course channel my stress through writing on this blog and through the sweat that I make at the Gym every free chance I have. Going through the stresses in my life before this war began prepared me more than anything, and having the knowledge of how to put stress to use has saved me from a horrible experience: a depressing year in a war.

Let's get through this and get home,
~Nick~

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home