The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Weekend Update and the Infamous Light Spectrum

It has eluded me all my life. I have looked for it since my eyes opened to the light of the world, near and far. It is all around me and it surrounds me, yet it remains elusive. I have studied it in science and I have measured it using tools in the lab, but it means nothing to me. For while many use it, I have all but given up trying to understand it; simply the colors of the world.

If you are one of the lucky few afflicted with my condition, which some may call "color deficient", then you understand what I am going through when I describe the following conversation over none other than a bowl of ice cream:

Guest writer Sean Doheny will recount the story:
As Nick was savoring every bite of his mint chocolate chip ice cream he looked over to Mike and with a smile on his face asked, "Hey Mike how's the mint chocolate chip ice cream?" At which point a silence fell over the table. "What?" said Nick with a confused look on his face.
"Dude it's cookies and cream." Said Mike with a dissaproving look.
"How can you tell the difference" said Nick with a quiver in his voice.
"Well one is green and the other is white." Stated Mike.
With a look of utter shock and humilation, Nick's eye's starting to tear from this great secret being revealed after 22 years of ignorant bliss, but Nick refused to belive this. He was defiant and sure of this tasty treats color, that no matter what one said, he knew it was white. With a great act of defiance Nick jumped to his feet and declared in a booming voice that had the whole chow hall silent, and he declared "I don't belive you!" You could actually hear the jaws drop and the silence broken, replaced by laughs of the color seeing world. A stand off between Nick and the color seeing world had begun. Until someone with the courage to stand up to Nick and explain the actual color of mint chocolate chip ice cream. A young, handsome, strong man by the name of Sean Doheny said to Nick. "Mint chocolate chip ice cream is green not white!" By now Nick knew he had been defeated, but refused to go softly into the night and stormed out of the chow hall, but he broke down. This once strong and defiant man was redudced to a puddle of tears and sobs.
The day's to follow would be dark one's for Nick, withdrawn and sullen he would talk to no one. He went on a milk drinking binge. Until after 2 day's of a 2% milk indouced comma this man came to. After hours of research he did in fact learn that Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is green. Nick is recovering, but as we know he is a strong man and will no doubtedly overcome his crippling disability. ~Sean Doheny

As you can see, this is not a joke people. It is very difficult to live in a world of color when you can't really differentiate the colors too well. On to other things.

I will be taking leave from here in August and though I haven't told anyone yet I think that I may be coming home to the U.S.. I just doesn't look as though I will be able to schedule a trip to Europe with limited time and unknown actual dates that I could coordinate with someone. So tentatively I am planning on going to Minnesota.

As I have been planning on providing pictures I know that you will be dissapointed when I say that it may be a while. I still don't have internet on my computer and that has been my major hindrance thus far, that and I keep going out on missions that prevent me from updating.

I have not seen the news recently but I can tell you that things don't seem to be improving quite a whole lot here. They had a memorial service here the other day for a fallen soldier and our people are begining to realize just what we are up against.

Wishing I could see green,
Nick

13 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home