The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Sunday, July 16, 2006

tiempo, ziet, tempus, temps, tempo, χρόνος, tijd

I am exhausted. Forgive me, I beg of you, if this post comes out as tattered and inchoherent thoughts. It is 5:30 in the a.m..

Time is a funny thing. We quantify it using chronographs and act like we have mastered it but really all we have done is labeled it. Not many people for instance could give you a definition of time without using the word for the explanation. What day is it? A quick glance at my watch tells me that it is now the 17th of July. The day is inconsequential since nothing happens on any certain days here of significance, until of course football season starts.

Although this deployment is but half over, time is fleeting. I don't know what happened to June and I can't remember when it became July. I do know, however, that I will be watching the days closely for the next couple of weeks because I have a destiny with home for two weeks leave in August. I really should begin deciding what to do at home, but where is the time? In my head I dream about the green grass of the countryside and the clear lakes that feel oh too refreshing on a hot summer day in Minnesota.

Time. People rarely know how to manage it so that they get the best out of it. When do you sit down and do the things that you have always wanted to do? Do you keep pushing it off? If there are a few things that I am learning as I slowly enter adulthood it is that "time is of the essence" in all that you do. I don't mean that you have to rush or always be doing something, I mean that it is necessary to really look at how you want to spend your time and act on it.

Since I don't have a choice on how I spend most of my time for this 1 1/2 year deployment I know that when I get home I have a lot things to do and I will never take time for granted again. What is it that you want to do with your time? When you die will you be satisfied with how you managed this precious commodity?

Nick
-Tempus edax rerum-
L. time is the devourer of things (time flies)

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for making me think. :)
    Have fun while you're at home--and don't forget that sometimes doing "nothing" is the best thing to do with your time. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 PM  

  • time is a strange thing. one second its not moving fast enough then in the next years have gone by it seems.

    By Blogger Living Dees Life, at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home