The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Weekend Update: A Day in My Life

First off, I don't work days I work nights. So should this be titled, "A Night In My Life" ? I'll leave it.

I wake up anywhere between 1pm and 5 pm. I open my eyes slowly and contemplate crawling out of my cozy sleeping bag. When I finally decide to wake I put on some sandals and open the door of my living unit to the blinding light of the desert sun outside. After brushing my teeth and using the restroom I come back to my livinng unit and mosey around for fifteen minutes or so trying to re-organize my room to make it look as neat as possible. I will get in my uniform and if I make it to lunch before 2pm then I am doing good.

If this is a day that I must go out on a mission I come back and pack up for anywhere between 2-5 days. I meet up with the rest of the group and we prepare for 2-3 hours before heading out. We have been going to Baghdad the past couple of missions but as for the rest of the details you will have to use your imagination.

When we return back, I usually go to bed beacuse I am tired from the mission. When I wake up, I begin the cycle over. When I have days off in between missions I will go to the gym before heading to midnight chow. The spare time that I do have I spend reading books and playing on my computer. If I am really motivated (maybe once a week), I will pull out my MCAT study book and cram some chemistry or physics down my throat before I lose my mind.

The conditions are actaully quite excellent on base when you condsider that we are at war. They have had time to build up the bases and so it really is nothing to complain about. Things change drastically of course once you "leave the wire" and head out of the base. Coming back to base is quite a relief when you think about the fact that people were just trying to kill you before you came to rest at the place you call home. Leaving the base has been equated to "playing the lottery" because you take a chance every time that you leave and you never know when it will be your time to get hit.

I hope this a given a little insight into what it is like being in my shoes and for many around me. Of course there is more that I can't talk about, and someday I will be able to tell you. Have a great week everyone.

Nick

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home