The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Back to Business

Well, I'm back. My, didn't that go quick?

I arrived back in Iraq yesterday after spendng two weeks of leave back in Minnesota and I can honestly say that I had the best two weeks of my life. Every day, hour, minute, and second were pure bliss as I was swept away by the sheer joy of being home. I know that it was supposed to be Rest and Relaxation but I couldn't help but fit as many things in as I could. I wasn't rushing everywhere, rather constantly going places.

Where to start? I saw a lot of good friends, had a few good beers, and went to many good places. Brainerd speedway, the Vikings game, a Twins game, the zoo, and bingo night to name a few. I was able to spend time with Mom and also Dad, Kathy, and Kristy; I had a great time seeing them all. I was lucky to have Carrie with me the whole time and I think she would say she had a good time also.

Now I'm back to work and it's back to business. Well, that's what I would like to say but of course my head is still lost thinking home. I had so much fun it's hard to be dissapointed being back here but I can't help thinking about it. These first few days are hard being back and I am facing the realization that I probably won't see those that I love for another seven months again. Luckily, I have some good friends here and they are helping me get back into the swing if things; of course I went to the gym the first night I got back and it helped a little.

The missions have changed while I left and so I can't say what my next task is going to be. I think I will be pushing for something a little more medically related because I have had enough time out on the road and I have seen enough. It's not that I have a choice but maybe I can work something out that will get me some hands on medical work.

Carl, we are thinking of you. Hope you are feeling better and keeping that food down!

Nick

P.S.- Thank you to everyone who made those two weeks the best time of my life, you know who you are.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home