The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

News from Mississippi

After returning from up north, I went to visit my brother Bryan in Minneapolis. We only had a short visit as I had to pick up a roommate (Dave) from the airport. Heading down from the cities to Gustavus, a friend of mine who is down in Mississippi gave me a call. His name is Matt Nygaard, but we usually just call him Nygaard as we generally call people by their last names in the military.

Mississippi is HOT! By this I mean that it is temperature hot, not fun. He is also a 91W (medic) and has been going through a 21 day medical refresher course to update his CPR and EMT validation along with some other high speed training. He said after that, the training schedule is quite empty which makes us all wonder "what in the heck are we going to be doing for so long in Mississippi?". He couldn't answer, and voiced the same sentiments that we just wish we could get over to Iraq as soon as possible.

They are staying in barracks now, after having been in a mock setup of a base in Iraq since they got to Mississippi. Cell phone use is possible if you can get a signal but internet connection is limited unless you have a computer with wireless and the internet isn't down. I guess hurricane Katrina put a big damper on the base's access to the net. So, it was good to here from him and know that they are at least trying to stay busy down there.

Football. What in the heck happened Vikes? Oh I know, Daunte Culpepper happened. Am I the only one who thinks that he should be benched? He couldn't do anything on Sunday. Our most valuable player was definitely our punter, at least he was making plays. Even the Packers managed to give Carolina a run for their money on MNF last night (don't get excited fans, they still lost). So that leaves our division in a three way tie for first with the pitiful record 1-3 (vikes, lions, bears, oh my) and the pack second with an 0-4 record.

Oh well, you can't win em' all. Have a great day everyone!
~Nick~

1 Comments:

  • Vale amice. I don't know the Latin for Vikings, neither for 'to suck.' But if I did, I would be using them. :) Take care, my friend.

    By Blogger Eric, at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home