The Desert Excursion: 365 days in Iraq - a 24/7 Soldier Medic

Sunday, October 09, 2005

The Weekend Update

Ok with such an action-packed weekend, this may be a long post. So, hold on to your seats and here goes the update.

Friday- It was decided a while ago that this weekend we would have people over to our apartment for a gathering of sorts and for me to see people before I leave. Carl, Emily, and Nicole came down from White Bear to stay for the weekend. We had a quite a crowd in our place, but luckily only one thing was broken to my knowledge anyways, was the martini light.

Saturday- It was family weekend at Gustavus, which is also Homecoming so there was a lot of alumni around. Carl, Emily, and I made it to the football game and met Lisa there with her aunt. For the first time I managed to go to a successful winning game by the Gusties football, so that was a plus. Jimmy showed up later in the afternoon after having driven from UW-Stout. The Saturday night movie at Wallenberg on campus was "Batman Begins". The movie was less than entertaining to say the least. After that, everyone came back to our apartment again. I received a call from Sgt. Sevre from C Co. telling me that I needed to be at Camp Ripley by 0900 Sunday. This was not good news as I had people visiting me and the drive takes two and a half hours to complete. So, I proceeded to stay awake all night to get my things together to bring up in the morning. The timeline went as so:

2:00 AM- people are returning from the bar and we have the biggest influx of people in our room for the whole night, including one individual who decided to crawl into my bed to sleep.
3:00- I decided that I needed a haircut, so I put my faith in Tyler, Scott, and Tura. I did the first 3/4 and had Tyler finish the back.
3:30- shined the boots
4:00- played with my beret
4:15....6- filled the vacant time by talking to Tura and left at 6:00

Sunday (continued I guess)- The whole purpose of going up to Ripley was to do paperwork and do an inventory of my personal gear. Having not had any sleep, the whole process seemed very long. Insurance, pay, will, medical check up, etc. . . finished by 12:45 or so. Then I went to the other building to check my equipment. I got a lot of new stuff! It was like Christmas, only I didn't give anything. I know have three duffel bags full of equipment, most of which I don't think I will need but it was still cool to get. I got back to Gustavus at about 5:30 or 6:00 and watched a movie. Now my friends, it is time for bed. I haven't been in bed for 40 hours now, so I think it is time to get some sleep. I think tomorrow I am going to setup a site to host some pictures for everyone to see. Good night.

Nick

1 Comments:

  • Pictures, good idea Nick, I want to see the martini light after impact!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home